Frenzy interview the Organ Donors before Keep Bournemouth Tidy at the Opera House
13th November 2008 - interview copyright of Frenzy
Scott and Matt from the Organ Donors are two of the leading names in UK hard trance. They're also from Bournemouth and will be playing Keep Bournemouth Tidy. In this interview they tell us about their sordid experiences with Thai lady boys plus explain why men should not have nipples.
1. Hello Organ Donors, aka Matt and Scott. For those that didn't know you're Bournemouth lads so it's only natural that you're on our Keep Bournemouth Tidy line-up. What have you got in store for the Opera House clubbers on November the 28th?
The answer is: We love the Opera house. For us it's quite simply one of the best clubs anywhere! Driving home the next day for six hours after gigs in the state we get into hurts... so the fact that it's only five minutes up the road from ours is a also a God-send haha!
We will be pumping out the tunes! Rippin' it up, jumping around! Throwing up! Screaming! Shouting! Basically just doing what we love to do... Destroying dance floors! BRING IT ON!
2. There's lots of talent that seems to come out of Bournemouth including yourselves, Paul "F1" King, Captain Tinrib, Tidy Girl Kym Ayres, Jon Langford from the Knuckleheadz, and of course Duncan from Blue. What is it about the town that seems to nurture this splendid array of rave artists?
Yeah very true, we have certainly had our fair share of hard dance heroes for such a relatively small town. The dance scene was thriving some years ago. At one stage there were five underground record shops all selling dance music on vinyl to DJs.
Then we had The Manor, Madison's, Remix and of course the legendary Opera House all pushing quality dance music events.
I heard a statistic once that Bournemouth had more clubs and bars per square mile than any other town in the UK. Very similar to numbers to the West End of Ibiza. I suppose that made it quite easy for DJs back then to get gigs and giving them a stepping stone to pursue a career.
Unfortunately things have changed somewhat as it's very commercial nowadays. Scott is actually best mates with Duncan from Blue, they are always exchanging fashion tips!
3. Going back a few years now, some of your first slabs of vinyl were released on Dr Evil's old labels; Storm Trax and Trooper Tunes. Some of those classic tracks had very interesting names such as Baby Gravy, Knob Voodoo, Knob Gets Hard, Pork Horn, Anal Annihilation, Pubic Traction, and Beat My Beat. I'm interested to know where you guys get your inspiration from?
Haha! Jesus... that's some years ago now. Well basically pretty much all those were bootlegs of well known tunes, or featured some kind of heavy sample. The tracks were made tongue in cheek a bit like Bootek do nowadays. These were some of the first tracks we ever actually engineered ourselves so it was a bit of fun and also a learning curve.
We quite literally just used the original name of the track but swapped one of two of the words with amusing sexual innuendos. So for example, 'Just Get Hard' became 'Knob Gets Hard'. 'Satisfaction' became 'Pubic Traction', 'To My Beat' became 'Beat My Meat'... you get the picture! We enjoyed coming up with the silly names just as much as writing the fucking tunes! Ha ha!
4. Moving forward into 2008, you've recently released a new album called Oldskool Autopsy where you took old skool tunes and updated them with a Donors-twist. Were there any tracks you would've liked to have remixed but weren't able to?
Seriously we could have made a twenty disk super-album! So many tunes, so many classics, we just had to bite the bullet. We tried to steer away from anything too obvious as that would have been too easy and very predictable.
Instead we carefully selected tracks that had inspired us at some stage in our lives giving them a modern twist. This enabled us to almost make original tunes out of some 'not' so well known classics.
We had legal issues over anything by the prodigy so that was a bit gutting! But all-in-all the album has been very well received and we couldn't be happier with the finished project.
5. We know of course that you're called the Organ Donors... although we suspect you might fail the NHS background checks in order to really donate a body part. But let's just say for one moment you could, what part of your body do you reckon you could do without?
Why have men got nipples? POINTLESS!! I could definitely do without them. Now I'm going to hear some medical geek saying: "Well matthew... after conception the developing embryo follows a female template. It's only after six to eight weeks that the effect of a gene on the Y chromosome kicks in for boy embryos. This gene stimulates the production and influence of hormones such as testosterone, which 'masculinise' the embryo by altering physical development to form male features. Nipples however, are formed before this masculinisation process takes place, and nothing that goes on later reverses this."
ZZZZZ! TOSSER!!! haha!
6. If we can get quite a few DJs to donate body parts, at this rate we could end up making a Franken-DJ. If you were to make a DJ using body parts from your peers, whose bits and why would you use to make the ultimate Disc Jockey.
Ha ha! Franken-DJ! I used to call my mates missus franken-tash but that's another story! Well all DJs should be good looking (that's me fucked!) so we would have to go for Whitby's head! However a good hairstyle is also important and seeing as old Andy bless him is as bald as a coot let's go with Yoji Biomehanika's hair do!
Image is also very important and the louder the better! So how about Proteus' gimp body-suit. And everyone likes a good set of legs so who better than Lisa Pin-up. Shit man I got that image in my head now. It's scary but somewhat arousing! Photoshop that badboy up!
7. Olly who used to run Destiny has asked me to ask you about Thai ladyboys and what happened when you didn't get back for that gig in time, and I quote him when he said "you can get a lot of dirt on those snivellers". What's he on about?
Look man I'm gonna cut to the chase! I make no excuses and quite enjoy telling the story. I WAS DRUGGED... MUGGED... And quite literally SUCKED THE FUCK OFF BY A LADY BOY!! But more to the point, I'm sure the readers would much rather hear the story of Olly and the gas mask! Please enlighten us! Ha ha!
8. Frenzy resident DJ Wilma who is on the Keep Bournemouth Tidy line-up also has proposed a question for you guys. As follows: "Did Scott Moaner really mix using his manhood at the Opera House?".
That sounds like more of a fantasy of Dylan's to be honest! Heard a few things about that sicko!
9. Speaking of DJ Wilma, we've run a competition to promote this event where the winner gets to cheat death whilst strapped to him and thrown out of a plane. That's quite hardcore. What's the bravest, scariest, or most stupid thing you've ever done?
People ain't the only thing he straps on believe me! Well I would say that was pretty fucking obvious man! Let's just say next time I'm in a bar on a remote beautiful island I'm gonna grab more than a drink before heading back to my hotel with a fit bird!
10. Finally, it's nearly the end of 2008, so looking forward with our magic ball what do you guys have in store for 2009 that you can tell the clubbers about?
And if that wasn't enough we will have our third artist album 'Tranceplant' ready for release by next summer. It's going to be a lot of hard work but these are really exciting times right now.
We would like to thank everyone who has supported us through 2008. Cheers guys we love ya! look out 2009!
The Organ Donors will be DJ'ing with the Tidy Boys and Mark EG at Keep Bournemouth Tidy on the 28th of November. Check our forthcoming events for details. The Organ Donors Oldkool Autopsy album can be purchased now from www.hmv.com.