Frenzy interview Gaz White in advance of his March gig
9th February 2010 - interview copyright of Frenzy
Gaz White is one of the original Slinky residents and will be DJ'ing back to back with Tim Lyall for Frenzy on March the 6th. They will be taking charge of room two which is going to be dedicated to trance classics on the night. We caught up with our friend Gaz so he could tell us all about the changes taking place at Dusk Till Dawn and plans for the future.
1. Hi Gaz, you’re taking to the decks with your old pal and fellow Slinky resident Tim Lyall for Frenzy at Dusk Till Dawn very soon as we try trance out in the second room. What makes you guys work so well as a back to back partnership?
We have played together for over ten years, and both like a wide range of music. It just seems to be easy playing b2b with Tim Lyall.
2. As well having a long-standing residency for Slinky, in recent years you’ve become quite connected to Dusk Till Dawn nightclub, plus run your own promotions. Sounds like you’re busy, so what do you have on your day to plate currently?
I've worked with Dusk Till Dawn for four years and started off being a weekly resident DJ. Then kind of got pushed into the promotion side, and now I run events but only DJ now and again... the next time is for Frenzy.
3. Dusk Till Dawn has undergone a few changes recently since Frenzy last had a date in there, could you give us the low-down on what’s new and what’s coming for the venue?
Well firstly it's now got a brand new Funktion One sound system downstairs, as well as new and improved sound upstairs... plus, and importantly new toilets with a different layout upstairs!
4. You’re DJ’ing out in Bournemouth most weekends so have your finger on the pulse of what and who’s hot and what and who’s not… so currently who’s hot DJ-wise, and promotion-wise?
Whitey who DJs and runs the Drum and Bass night Enter is the guy around town with his finger on the pulse at the moment I'd say.
5. You’re very experienced in the whole clubbing world, so we’d like to know from down the years what your favourite period of time was for the scene and the music?
My favourite time being a DJ was when I first started out back in 1995. The only format to play on then was 12 inch vinyl which meant there was only a small amount of tunes about. So you had to be into it, to get on it. The other plus was everybody was off their nut!
6. Finally we’re looking forward to having you down so want to know what’s in store for the Frenzy clubbers from you and Tim on the night?
We shall be digging into our extensive collections to find some rare stuff, but will of course be dropping the classics for the trance lovers in room two!
Gaz White will be DJ'ing alongside Tim Lyall, Rob Tissera, Kym Ayres and Knuckleheadz for Frenzy on Saturday the 6th of March at Dusk Till Dawn nightclub. Check out our forthcoming hard dance events for more details.
Photos by Charlie Raven.