Resonate resident Iain Cross - the Frenzy vs Resonate interview
7th January 2009 - interview copyright of Frenzy
Iain Cross is a very familiar name for south coast clubbers and he had a rich history within the hard trance scene. From his beginnings at the legendary Country Club to his current residency with Resonate, this guy is a leading light in his field. On February the 13th he'll be DJ'ing at Frenzy vs Resonate. Want to know more... then read on.
1. Hi Iain, this will be the first time we’ve had you down to Frenzy when you play on the versus Resonate event. You’ve been resident for Resonate for a little while now, how did you get involved with them?
I first started out playing for Resonate back in 2003 I think, then just as a guest. After a few bookings Stuart, aka SL-DJ (resident and promoter) asked me to be a resident for the night and I’ve loved being involved ever since!
2. The theme for Frenzy vs Resonate will be The St Valentine’s Massacre as it the day before Valentine’s Day. If someone wanted to impress you this Valentines, what would they have to do?
Well, quite simply turn up to Resonate vs Frenzy the night before Valentine’s Day. What more could you want...?
3. As this is your first Frenzy appearance could you please describe the Iain Cross sound to our clubbers so they know what they’re in for?
Well you can expect some upfront garage beats… haha. Naa not really… it will be fresh and forward thinking hard trance with some very heavy beats… but full on emotional melodies.
4.You were part of the legendary Country Club team. A lot of our clubbers probably missed out on those days so could you tell us a little bit about the place and in particular any memories you might have?
The Country Club really was one of a kind. It hosted a true underground style of clubbing that I don’t think the UK will ever see again. There was no glitz, no glamour, and no superstar DJ fame at the time. There wasn’t even any branding - just pure underground music played to all those people that lived for the club.
5. The Hard Dance Awards are currently being heavily promoted by all those desperate for the clubbers’ votes. Have you voted and if so who have you put forward this year?
Well yeah my inbox is full, haha! For me it’s definitely The Organ Donors. Their new album has properly rocked the scene this year and I feel they should get an award. And of course the main man Mark E.G: not just because of all his crazy antics but for always pushing hard trance and hardstyle to the absolute limits… with style!
6. When you play the gig for us on the 13th of February you’ll be on a line-up with a firm favourite of ours – Frisky. She’s one of the rising stars on the harder scene at the moment. What’s your opinion on her?
Hollie is a sound girl and has got a massive future ahead of her. I can’t wait to check out another set of hers on this night and I know the Frenzy crowd love her too. Bring it on!
7. Could you tell us a dirty secret about yourself that perhaps the clubbers wouldn’t know? Maybe not dirty, perhaps embarrassing or shameful. We won’t tell anyone.
To be honest it’s just far too shameful to put to paper so maybe next time when a few more years have passed I could tell you more?
8. Do you ever live up to your name of Cross? Do you get angry, what makes you mad, what realty riles you up? (Not that we’re planning anything obviously).
Well I’m quite a chilled out person… So it would take a lot to rile me up :-)
9. How was 2008 for you? It looked like you had some pretty decent gigs so do you have any highlights you’d like to share with us? On on that subject, what do you want 2009 to bring?
2008 was another wicked year for me. I started my own digital label with the guys at Bare Cheek. Check their website at www.barecheekrecordings.com. It’s gone better than I ever imagined with the first release getting full support from all the big guns out there.
This year is already looked very busy for bookings which currently take me right through until May.I’ve got a few releases coming out soon on labels including Germantrance Records and High Fish Recordings. I think 2009 will bring even more good and memorable times.
10. And finally, what have you got in store for Frenzy vs Resonate at the St Valentine’s Weekend Massacre?
As it’s my first booking for Frenzy, I’ll defo be pulling out all the stops! I’ve got some ultra-fresh, unheard madness ready to unleash on the Frenzy nutters..... CAN’T WAIT!!!!
Iain Cross will be starring alongside Frisky and Helen G for Frenzy vs Resonate on February the 13th at Dusk Till Dawn nightclub. Check out our forthcoming hard dance events for more details.
Photos courtesy of www.ravenworks.co.uk and unknown sources.